I’m soooo late with this post but a promise is a promise. Here is a more thorough post on the red jacket with matching skirt and contrasting dress that I made last summer. Though it was just roughly 4 months ago…
I made the ensemble based on Butterick B5619 – a Lifestyle wardrobe patterns with five different garments to mix and match. I made three.
I made the jacket with matching a-line skirt in a bright read cotton twill. A great choice for summer, though it wrinkles easily. The jacket had three quarter length sleeves, patch pockets, large lapels and black buttons. The lapels where 5 cm larger in the original pattern but I reduced them in order not to drown behind them.
Here you can see the buttons and one of the patch pockets with a flap up close. I chose large black buttons to contrast the bright red.
The jacket is unlined so I made a Hong Kong finish in contrasting black again to make it look refined also when open or not worn.
I made the Hong Kong finish from satin bias tape. Here you can see all the covered seam allowances. I hemd the jacket by hand.
The skirt has a slightly slanted band in the waist which improves the fit just above the hips.
Instead of using a Hong Kong finish on the skirt I folded the raw edges of the seam allowance and saw close to the folded edge. I like this finish as it is very neat. I used the same finish inside the dress. I also hemmed the skirt and the dress by hand.
I made the skirt out of a stretchy satin cotton lycra blend fabric. It is very comfortable to wear and doesn’t wrinkle much. It is hard to see because of the busy print but the dress has three sections on front and pack, a top, a midriff and a skirt. The midriff is sewn with self facing in double layers for some extra tummy support. ;-)
And here is the dress with the jacket. A nice combo.
It’s over midnight here now so this has to be all for now
Sweet sewing dreams